Monday, October 1, 2007

Jo Ann Cowan, Vernal City Councilmember

Jo Ann and her secret (well not any more) crush Rick Riley of Sports Illustrated



Jo Ann Cowan, Vernal City councilmember and ULCT board member. Jo Ann is likely one of the few elected city officials in Utah who is also on her local school board. She's also a retired school teacher, a member of the Uintah Fire Supression Special Service District and has a keen sense of humor.

1. How long have you been serving as an elected official in your community and is this your first stab at city government? I was on the zoning board for six years and I have been on City Council for 20 years.


2. What made you want to run for public office? I always preached to my social studies students that they needed to get involved in their community. My ex-husband was a city employee and got the feeling that there were some things that needed changed.


3. Name one thing (and no doubt there are many) about being a municipal official in your community that is really satisfying, and one thing that is, shall we say, not the least bit enjoyable. It is neat to be able to help people solve their problems and find answers to their questions or problems. I hate having to make the choices about putting a new housing project in someone's neighborhood when they don't want it. I don't care much about liquid assets in the solid waste fund.


4. When you’re not acting in your capacity as a municipal official, how do you spend your spare time (profession, or similar)? Pretending I am on the LPGA (golf), reading mystery stories, and volunteer work with the homeless.

5. What is the greatest challenge facing your community? Workforce housing


6. CD in your player? Tina Turner


7. Book on your nightstand? Anything by David Baldacci or John Grisham


8. Radio station set on your dial? Any English speaking station without Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity


9. Political idol? Eleanore Roosevelt and JD Williams


10. Presidential candidate in ’08? Bill Richardson