Friday, October 5, 2007

Neil Peacock, Mayor of Castle Dale

Neil Peacock, Governor of Hawaii, er, we mean Mayor of Castle Dale


So here's a guy that truly is a man for all seasons. Neil Peacock is the mayor of Castle Dale City, but only in when he's not doing something related to his very busy job of being a social studies teachers at Emery County High, which also means he's in charge of the student council, the drama coach, assistant golf coach and we've heard he's also involved with the debate team as well. Oh, and he's also a board member of the Utah League of Cities and Towns.


1. How long have you been serving as an elected official in your community and is this your first stab at city government? I have served as Mayor of Castle Dale for nearly 6 years. This was my first stab at city government, proving once again that anyone can be mayor of Castle Dale.

2. What made you want to run for public office? I didn’t want to run for office – my wife made me.

3. Name one thing (and no doubt there are many) about being a municipal official in your community that is really satisfying, and one thing that is, shall we say, not the least bit enjoyable. I love the city celebrations that we have. My community really knows how to celebrate. But I do not enjoy having to give the orders to shut off people’s water. That’s the hard part.

4. Where you're not acting in your capacity as a municipal official, how do you spend your spare time? I teach history in a high school, direct plays and musicals, coach debate, and pretend that I can golf well, but that I’m just having a bad day that particular day.

5. What is the greatest challenge facing your community? Economic development and planning for the future.

6. CD in your player? Iz Kamakwin’ole’s “Facing Future.”

7. Book on your nightstand? “Edward DeVere, the Story of the Man Who Was Shakespeare.”

8. Radio station set on your dial? KOAL from Price

9. Political idol? Brad King, Utah State House of Reps.

10. Presidential candidate in '08? Too much time left in the election. Who started campaigning 6 years in advance for a 4 year long job?